The Gettysburg battlefield draws over a million tourists a year, and this July, the 150th anniversary of the battle, will be especially packed. Perhaps the best time to visit is early fall, when the crowds thin and the leaves are still on the trees, as at the time of battle. The National Military Park is too big to tour entirely on foot; most visitors drive to the major sites. Pick up a CD at the park visitor center to provide historical narration. Or hire a licensed guide to join you in your car. Horseback tours are available, too.
Leave time to amble around town. Bizarre relic stores hold muskets, coffins and blood-stained nurses’ uniforms. The Shriver House Museum and the Rupp House illuminate civilian life. Lincoln stayed at the David Wills House before delivering the Gettysburg Address.
1. "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."
2. "Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter!"
3. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
4. "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
5. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."
6. "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."
7. "A person's a person, no matter how small."
8. "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
9. "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
10. "Being crazy isn't enough."
11. "From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!"
12. "I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful 100 percent!"
13. "Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!"
14. "In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"
15. "How did it get so late so soon?"