This mantra can be difficult to say but small business blogging shouldn’t be that big of a deal. There are blogging tips and guidelines to help your small business create not just a blasé blog but a successful internet marketing tool that will ultimately bring more business.
Here is a basic checklist to review each time you are just about to publish your blog:
- Is the subject matter newsworthy? Would your target audience even care about it?
- Does the lead paragraph give the reader an idea of what to expect in the rest of the blog?
- If someone accidentally found your blog, would they have a clue what you are talking about? Don’t use jargon. Not everyone speaks your language.
- Have you peppered your article with keywords to help with search engine optimization (SEO)?
- What about links? Have you included links to related posts (internal) and related sources (external)?
- Don’t forget about tags. Are you assigning the right tags and not too many (about 3 to 5 is good).
- Is the K.I.S.S. method in effect? Keep It Simple Stupid is important in blogging. No one has time or wants to read a novel. People read blogs for entertainment but mainly to obtain information quickly!
- Make sure your headlines stand out and include your keywords. Keywords are like gold. Use them wisely.
- Use bullets! Your reader may not read everything you blog but they will read your bullets. It’s hard to resist following those black dots!
- Do you have anything else to add besides text? Pictures and videos are great additions to blogs. Use them.
These days, it seems everyone blogs about something. Most won’t follow any type of rule. But if you want your blog to help grow your small business, you need to do it correctly. With guidance from these tips and plenty of practice, just like the tongue twister, you are bound to get it right.